Contact me

CONTACT ME through the Contact page on my website: http://www.gaylereicheltart.com

Wednesday 23 September 2015

Add More Paint - Emotion with Joy

Following my first attempt inspired by the #judyschallenge project on Facebook, I liked the process so much that I have decided to create a new series of abstract works using acrylic and just applying paint either to paper or canvas.  I will call this series #Add More Paint.  Most of my artwork has been very structured, and I nearly always had an image that I would use as a starting point that I would manipulate and abstract from.   My main body of work currently is my shipwreck series, which is very structured and essentially realist.  For example, my latest shipwreck painting #Gayundah: On the Beach is inspired from an real object.   I find it exciting that I can start a painting on a blank canvas or piece of paper and just start applying paint, using different tools and any technique I can think of to add marks.  The challenge is that sometimes in the beginning, I think "my goodness, how am I going to make something interesting out of this".

My painting below "Emotion with Joy" is the piece that I am going to document today.   It has proved a very popular choice and lots of likes on Facebook and Instagram.



These are the steps that I took to complete #Emotion with Joy

First stage.  I started this one with completely different colours to what I usually choose. I chose a burgundy colour, orange, red and pink to start with. Also approached it in a completely different way, using a paintbrush and brayer to lay in the first colours.  Wasn't really impressed with the painting at this stage, but oh well, we shall see how it progresses.  It is scary using such different colours.


For my next step, I introduced some grey green, and just worked on defining some shapes. A very new approach to the start of a painting for me. Still not liking it all that much.


Next I added more colours to lighten some areas. It is looking a little brighter but not sure at all that I like this approach - although it is good to challenge myself. This one might prove to be a very interesting challenge. The good thing about this way of painting, is that I know that I can always paint over it with different colours and completely change it at any time.

For this step, I  used the brayer with yellow, orange and a different green. Then took the canvas outside and spattered the whole painting with the same colour paints. It is looking a little more interesting so not quite as unhappy as my previous stopping point. I wonder what my next step will be. Will have to contemplate for a while.


I decided that the painting need more blue, so using a couple of stencils, I added prussian blue with a little cobalt.   Hmmm, starting to really like it now.  



It is looking good now, but just needs a few more touches.   I added some yellow.    Now I really like it.  The yellow was the final touch needed to bring it to life.  

One of the most valuable things an artist must learn is when to stop.  Many a painting has been spoilt by the artist going too far and taking away the spontaneity and vibrance of a work.     When I joined #judyschallenge the aim was to add some paint each day for 30 days.   Some of the artists who joined this challenge did succeed by going through and changing their work for 30 whole days, and posted their daily results.  Sometimes at a particular stage, I thought - I would have to stop here but they diligently continued on.  I admire them for being able to stick to complete the challenge, but for myself, when I had the work at a stage where I really liked it, I just could not make myself do something different and potentially ruin what I thought was a good work.     I will continue working in this way, and maybe, just maybe I might eventually get to do 30 days.


#emotionwithjoy  #acrylicpainting  #addmorepaint

No comments:

Post a Comment