Contact me

CONTACT ME through the Contact page on my website: http://www.gaylereicheltart.com

Tuesday 22 September 2015

Gayundah: On the Beach

My header photo is the latest in my shipwreck series called "The Last Fleet".    This series is being prepared for a solo exhibition at the Gold Coast City Gallery from 6 February to 27 March 2016.

A link to my website to the folder with the artworks that will be in this exhibition is here:
http://www.gaylereicheltart.com/store/c11/The_Last_Fleet__-_ENCAUSTIC_AND_OIL_-_current.html

I aim to have about twenty paintings in the exhibition, and so far have completed sixteen paintings, so need to get cracking on creating 4 more.   I have the images picked out, so it is just a matter of getting them finished.




Below are the processes I used to create Gayundah:  On the Beach.    Feedback would be much appreciated.

The canvas is 2 metres x 1.2 metres.   I had the canvas made up for me by Eckersleys and initially, when I saw the size of the canvas, I panicked, thinking how am I ever going to do justice to this painting on such a large canvas.  
But, having purchased the canvas, and being strongly encouraged by my husband, I had no choice but to push on, so bit the bullet.
Me with the blank canvas.

Pencil study for the canvas.   I sometimes do a preliminary drawing for my paintings, especially when they are on a large canvas and I need to work out detail beforehand.  The pencil sketch will become an artwork in its own right eventually.


First I  photographed and scanned my drawing into my computer.

Next I project the image onto my canvas.

Then I trace the outline of the drawing with pencil.


My lovely husband John secured the canvas to my easel.    Back view.


Front view.  Oops, John secured it beautifully to the easel, but forgot to check if it was the right way up.   lol.  Lucky we both have a good sense of humour.


Then I started laying in colour.  First the sky, then I concentrated quite heavily upon the prow of the ship, adding lots of texture and colour.  This is really the main focus.  Quite nervous about painting the water as I have not often painted wanted.   Foreground just sketched in roughly at this stage.


More details added.


Getting there.  More detail added all over.  Foreground close to being finished.

The finished painting.   I am so pleased with it.  I think it is my best painting ever.   I wonder if anyone will ever want to buy it.    It is ready now to be included in my The Last Fleet exhibition in Feb/March 2016 at the Gold Coast City Gallery, Surfers Paradise.

http://www.gaylereicheltart.com/store/p273/Gayundah%3A_On_the_Beach.html  is a direct link to the painting in my website.


To give people an idea of the size of the painting.   I am standing between my pencil sketch and the finished painting.   Feeling very pleased with myself.    


The best place to store a painting if possible is on a wall.  So here it is on the wall in our loungeroom.  It looks fantastic.



#Gayundah  #HMQS Gayundah #Shipwrecks  #Marine Art #Maritime Artist #TheLastFleet  #TheArtsCafe  #GoldCoastCityGallery  

No comments:

Post a Comment